Friday, November 7, 2008

The weather

Here in central Illinois you never know what the weather will be like in November. I can remember many times Halloween costumes being ruined by a big parka and boots. Thanksgiving day spent digging out the grandparents so we can deliver dinner to them. This year so far we have had beautiful weather. Yesterday was mid 60's and a bit windy. Today is a much different story. It is very windy and maybe 40 degrees. I guess that is what got me thinking this morning. How can things change so quickly with no warning at all. I guess if you are really paying attention you can see little signs of change. Until last week I still seen my mother as a strong, active and vibrant woman. In my eyes she has never changed much. She was always eager for family gatherings and willing to help anyone. Last week I really looked at her. I don't mean looked at her like checking out her hair or makeup, I mean really looked at her. Her face seems different. Her eyes seem small and her face seems somewhat swollen. I see wrinkles I never noticed and where in the hell did her lips go. Honestly they look as though they have disappeared. Maybe just maybe they are in a drawer somewhere with her eyebrows. That is another thing missing. How is it I am just noticing these things. Oh and I think she has shrunk. Laying in the hospital bed the other night she looked like a little old lady. When did everything change so much? Why wasn't I warned? I wish life was like the weather. If I woke up and it was cold, I would simply put on a sweater and make the best of it. My mom is getting older and has Parkinson's Disease. There is not sweater in the world that will make that feeling go away or protect me from the harsh reality of life.

No comments: