Monday, November 3, 2008

No expression

Well as I was getting ready for work today I couldn't help but wonder what my mom was doing. This was the day that my sister and I would sit in that little room with our little mom and hear the doctor say that little word "Parkinson's". One week ago we decided until Gail said that without a doubt this is what had been causing the multitude of symptoms we would not worry her. I hope she understands that we were trying to protect her. As I look back on so many times in my life she was the protector. Now the roles are reversed and I felt the need to shield her from any added pain. She wasn't feeling the greatest as we sat patiently for the Doctor to come and see her. Ok maybe I was hoping that she wouldn't come in. Surely somewhere there was an emergency that would keep her from seeing us today. I would politely make another appointment and put all this off until another day. That was not the case. Gail told my mother that she looked better. She explained that watching her walk down the hall (to the restroom for the third time in like 20 minutes) that she is showing improvement. She then talked to my mother as though she was ten years old. This bothered me at first but she was genuinely trying to speak so that my mom would understand. Gail looked at her and told her that she suspected she was suffering from Parkinson's disease. My mother sat there with no expression on her face. She looked as though someone had just said the dumbest joke ever. We asked if she understood and she simply said "yes". Yes that's it? I have been so freaked all weekend. I expected at least a "ohh what else could happen" or a "why me?". That was not the case. She listened as Gail spoke about her meds and the fact that we needed to see a Neurologist. End of appointment. Ok now the ride home. I am ready for the tears. I am ready for the questions of what will happen next. To my amazement there was none of that. This woman amazed me today. I on the other hand want to know what is next and why her? So as I sit here I am trying to figure out what the hell I would have said if she would have asked.

No comments: