Friday, October 31, 2008

One day at a time

As I was driving back to work from lunch today I began to think. Would I really want to know what the future holds? I am not just speaking of things with my Mother. I mean with everything in life. Like-- what will my son be like at eighteen. Would I prefer to know now that he is going to be major pain in the ass. Would I want to know at twenty one he would be unemployed living in my basement dreaming of a career as the "Godfather of the guitar". Yes I know, he is twelve and a bit on the bright side, but it could happen. What would I do to change the outcome to that (besides take away his guitar and move to a house with nothing more than a crawl space) Seriously there is nothing I would change. There is nothing different about how I would raise him. I would simply plug along day to day. I guess what I am trying to convince myself of is no matter what I do it will not change the fact that my mother has Parkinson's disease. Will she continue to progress at a fast pace or will these meds help her a bit? I am not sure of any of that and I guess I don't want to know because it would not change a thing. I am going to be as good a daughter to her as she was a mother to me. I will take each day as it comes and be glad I still have someone to talk to on my way to work. I still have someone who is just as interested in my son as I am. Someone who no matter what happens loves me. Is Parkinson's going to take my mother? Well--not today!

No comments: