Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The next month (or so)

Well, the next month was a bit tiring. My sister had taken my Mother to see Gail (Dr. Williamson) she felt as though her arm was broken. After a few more pictures of her arm and a quick stop to see the local bone doctor it was confirmed. The lovely hospital had neglected to take an exray of her upper arm and that you see is where the problem was. They, meaning the medical staff, could not cast her arm due to the fact that she had open wounds and she is a diabetic. From what I gathered that would be an infection waiting to brew inside that wonderful plaster paradise. With that she was given a sling and a bottle of percocet and off she went.

Now lets fast forward a couple of weeks. We have nurse Dede taking very good care of her mothers disgusting wounds. Dede is also the best pillow fluffer in the midwest. She was there to help our Mother in any way possible. What did I do? I cooked, that is what I do. I can handle Dr appts, mowing the yard, and even cleaning the house, but not gaping, oooozing, disgusting wounds. I was there just not when it was time to change bandages (convenient huh).

Now lets fast forward to today. My Mother is doing pretty good. The arm is healed. Very few scars thanks to her darling daughter. She seems well, most of the time. It seems she fell down the stairs cleaning her dogs litter box. yes, her majesty could not possibly go outside. While cleaning this box of joy she had a "freezing moment" I guess these are pretty common in PD patients. I did a little searching and was suprised that something like 60 percent of patients will have these moments. This is just another scary thing to deal with. Can this happen when she is driving? Near the pool? In a store? I guess we will see.

No comments: