Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Well today as I sat at work I got the call. This was not just a call it was the call. The call I didn't want to answer. I tried to sound cool and calm, but I felt my voice crack as I said "hello". It was my mothers doctor (i will from here out simply call here Gail). She was very kind and concerned. You see yesterday as I sat in this little office with my shrunken mother she told me she suspected my mother had Parkinson's. I didn't want to hear that. As hard as I try I am not sure what she said next. I remember something about doing some blood tests and the way my Mom walked down the hall, and the fact that she was stiff and loosing weight for no reason and I will call you tomorrow. That is how I remember it. Well the phone call today pretty much confirmed her diagnosis. We began her on medicines today. We spoke of depression and the fact that this isn't a death sentence. It feels like one to me. Is this terrible disease going to take my Mom? Is this diagnosis going to change everything about our daily lives? How will I explain this to my son? Will I get this disease as well? Will my sister get this? I have so many questions and so many things going through my mind. Ohh by the way my sweet, honest, energetic, loving, and supportive mother doesn't know yet. How am I going to tell her? That's correct she doesn't know yet. I must have a plan with the doctors first. We must sit down and explain everything to her. She will be broken, I can feel it. Monday will be the day. Not over the weekend. God let this be a good weekend.

No comments: